i haven't paid attention to the corner of 1st, t, and rhode island for a couple days, but check this out:
yep, that's a placard for a liquor license. a class c liquor license. a TAVERN! we are getting a bar, bloomingdale!
that first photo was in one of the doors on t street. this property, at 84-86 t street nw, has long been rumored to be home to a second location of heller's bakery of mount pleasant (whose donuts are quite good!) well, it looks like that's not the case now. a new, smallish window has been placed in the 1st street wall in the last few days, and that's home to the other placard.
i know it's hard to read, but here are the details:
- posted today (august 1, 2008)
- petition date: september 15, 2008
- hearing date: september 29, 2008
- name: baraki
- nature of operation: local tavern featuring standard american fare with occasional dj, occupancy limit is 99.
- hours of operation: sunday through thursday: 11 am - 2 am, friday and saturday: 11 am - 3 am
- hours of entertainment: sunday through thursday: 9 pm - 2 am, friday and saturday: 9 pm - 3 am
so there you have it, bloomingdale. i always thought this would happen at 1822 1st street (the corner of 1st and seaton) before anywhere else in the neighborhood, but maybe that'll just have to be the home of a bar and restaurant, instead of a plain-old tavern like baraki.