Thursday, November 5, 2009

the end (for now)

i'm going to rip off the sign-off post from one of my favorite blogs, stop, blog, and roll. jaime, the founder and creative force behind the blog, was one of my primary motivators when it came time to start this neighborhood blog. when i moved here, she helped me set up bloomingdale (for now), and for that i'm forever grateful.

anyway, the short story is that i've moved out of bloomingdale. the third post on this blog explained that i called the blog bloomingdale (for now) because i believed my move to the neighborhood could be temporary. i said from the get-go that i would move if i couldn't find a house to buy in bloomingdale.

well, i looked, but there was nothing in my price range in the neighborhood. working for a non-profit doesn't allow one to afford the prices in this part of the city if you want a rowhouse (not condo). so, i looked far-and-wide for a place that fell into my price range. in the end, i bought a house in trinidad.

i've been in trinidad for two months now. i love it. this house is amazing, the neighbors are friendly (as friendly as bloomingdale, i dare say!), and i'm still a short bike ride downtown to work. it's been interesting learning the minute details of a whole new part of town.

the short of it is this: i lived in and loved bloomingdale for 3 years. i started this blog as my small way of serving the community. now that i no longer live in the neighborhood, it's time to hang things up here.

my heartfelt thanks go to everyone who supported this endeavor in one way or another - readers, commenters, lurkers, linkers, etc., and particularly sean and scott who have ran the bloomingdale blog in the time i've been here.

i'm going to leave everything up for posterity, and work on establishing something new in trinidad soon. i'll update this post when i have a new digital home ready to go.

thank you all. remember to be kind to each other, appreciate each day, and continue to work in any way you can to strengthen the community.

10 comments:

Mari said...

Bye. Glad you found something in the city. Welcome to the fun new world of homeownership, which will be a new adventure.

flatland said...

Are you really in Trinidad, or East Eckington?

Unknown said...

You're gone, but certainly not forgotten. Come back anytime!

DCnaive said...

Good luck with the new place. I look forward to hearing about the good things that happen in Trinidad instead of only hearing of the troubles reported by the news.

dano said...

I've been reading this since i moved the Bloomingdale a year and a half ago. You've done a good job of keeping it to the issues and not posting fluff like 'door of the week.'

Anyway, the real reason that I am commenting is that I am in the market for a house and have had some trepidation about Trinidad. At the same time I see a lot of potential there. Would you be game to chat or email about the area? If so shoot me an email. Thanks!

Jamie said...

I've not always agreed with you but people who care about their communities, and take the time to be involved, will always be good ones as far as I'm concerned. I hope you keep writing from your new home, and congrats on being a homeowner.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the positive post about Trinidad and for showing that we get a bad rap because of a few bad apples. There are people (like every neighborhood) that wants to make our community better, I've been here for two years and I love it. Welcome to neighborhood and I hope you have some good times here.

Unknown said...

Hi Geoff -- I saw your tweet regarding the Office of Zoning Interactive Zoning Map. We've been working to fix any problems for non-Internet Explorer users. If you're still having trouble accessing the map, please email me at zoningmap@dc.gov.

Thanks,
Jamie Weinbaum
Director, Office of Zoning

Anonymous said...

Are you going to start a blog in Trinidad? I would really enjoy reading if you do! I enjoyed your blog here.

Anonymous said...

Please start a Tdad blog, I own two homes there but live in Bloomingdale....and it does get a bad rap often times.